New Events Page
What's happening in Nova Scotia? Find out here...
Do you want...
Do you want women’s concerns on the public agenda?
Do you want your voices amplified and echoed by women across the province?
Do you want every woman and girl in Nova Scotia to know that her well-being is critical to the well-being of our province and country?
WACNS is a broad non-partisan alliance of women’s groups and committees, social justice organizations and individuals concerned with women’s equality. Active in the 1980s and 1990s, WACNS is being re-constituted in response to decisions that are being made at the national, provincial and municipal levels about issues that have a disproportionate impact on women. We want our governments to know that we are concerned that:
- many women and families in our province are living in poverty
- childcare is a luxury rather than a right
- affordable housing is limited and inadequate
- violence against women is widespread
- the cost of education is prohibitive for many women
- too many women are working in low-paying, insecure jobs
- women’s services are under-funded
Statement of Purpose
The Women's Action Alliance for Change – Nova Scotia is a broad, non-partisan alliance of women's groups and committees, social justice organizations, and individuals concerned with women's equality. As a multi-voice collective of women in Nova Scotia, we call for province and country where the life-affirming and cooperative values of equality, peace, security and dignity guide all public policies. Working from a woman-centred, feminist, anti-oppressive analysis and approach, we engage and work with women for positive social change within Nova Scotia and in solidarity with women's and similar progressive movements around the world.
- We work to achieve equality for women.
- We build on the legacy of the feminist movement, and the knowledge, passion and
determination of all women to inspire our work.
- We support the realities of individuals and organizations around the table, and listen with respect and the intention to understand.
- We are focused and purposeful on effecting social change through issues-based advocacy.
- We use feminist analysis and processes.
- We honour the power of consensus decision-making and the idea of "unity, not unanimity" that allows us to speak as one voice, united in our purpose.
- We include the diversity of self-identified women who are working for social change in our membership and we apply diversity analysis to our work.
- We are a non-partisan, independent, autonomous organization.